Saturday, November 17, 2007

Baked Caprese Salad

I don't know how many of you saw Giada on Oprah the other day but she was making some yummy Holiday appetizers. I found this one on the Oprah site that looked good and it was DELICIOUS. I made them tonight with homemade chicken noodle soup, they were so yummy. I could eat hundreds of these!!!

BAKED CAPRESE SALAD

1 baguette, sliced 1/2 inch thick, about 30 to 36 slices
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt
5 Roma tomatoes, sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh basil

Preheat the oven to 450°.

Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet, brush with some of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Top each slice of bread with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with salt. Return the baking sheet to the oven until the cheese and tomato are just warm, about 5 minutes.

Arrange the toasts on a serving platter. Top each toast with a basil leaf. Using the brush, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

(Be careful not to overheat the crostini. The cheese and tomatoes should be just warmed through and softened, but not melted or falling apart. It's perfect if you have slightly under-ripe tomatoes).

3 comments:

Brooklyn said...

Sounds delish! I did catch Giada! Love her. What did you think of the brie,chocolate panini?

Swirls of Happy said...

This sounds soooo yummy and easy, thanks for posting, I will have to make for sure!

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

Brooke I dont know what I think of the Brie chocolate panini? I felt bad for Giada because Oprah was reacting really wierd to it but then it seemed to grown on her and Nate and they ended up liking it. I would definitely try it if someone made it but I don't think I would go out of my way to buy the ingredients to make myself.