Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Granola bars

My friend Meghan introduced me to this recipe. I made them a couple days ago and they are so yummy! They taste like a dessert and I love that they use oatmeal, wheat germ and whole wheat flour.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups rolled oats
1/2cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup raisins (I did 1/2 cup raisins 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 18-20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

3 comments:

Swirls of Happy said...

Oh I can't wait to try this one!!! What a great healthy snack to have on hand, I might just have to make those today while Bentley naps...Yummy :)

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

I am with you Brittany, I am going to make them today too if I can squeeze an extra minute out of my day, sounds yummy!

Mike Steph Brooklyn and Carter said...

Seriously those were so good I can't stop eating them and I LOVE that they are healthy! Mike even liked them so you know they must be good! Way better than my other granola bar recipe!